
Beer is cheaper than water in Germany. If you go to pub, you canexpect to pay 2-3e for a beer - maybe 4e for Guiness. But in the supermarket Beer costs like 50c (0.5l). You can buy a case of 20 beers for 10-11e. They're also really into recycling here, so you get a few euros back when you bring back the empty bottles. The area around Koeln is Koelsch, so the beers they make here are "Koelsch" beers, and the spoken dialect is Koelsch.The water that comes out of the faucet, however, has weird particles inside it... They tell me the water is perfectly good but I don't know...
So drinking beer seems like the reasonable thing to do. I'm on a beer-sausage diet here. I can't really cook for myself here anything except pasta or maybe curry chicken, for several reasons: The kitchen is far... Many people use it... it's empty of basic ingerdients like salt, pepper, oil, and my fridge is too small to contain meats or eggs, etc. So I eat mostly pasta, or sometimes a sausage. Two things are really great here: the sausages and the bread. For some reason there are a lot more bakaries here than one would expect. These people really like bread. The sausage choice is also very impressive (naknikim & naknikiot), mostly pork. So for lunch I make lots of tasty sausage sandwiches with weird cheeses and great tomatoes. I always eata big breakfast, so lunch is small. At dinner I sometimes eat out. They call Shuarma here "Doener kebab", and instead of a pita they put it in a bread triangle. There so many kebab places here... (many turks).Ok, all this talk about food mad me hungry. I think it's time for another Koelsch and sausage meal.
No comments:
Post a Comment